7 Reasons To Do Your DTS At YWAM Ships Kona
The road to doing a DTS can be tricky. With so many locations to choose from, it can be easy to get overwhelmed. Here are some tips on what YWAM Ships Kona has to offer to help you decide if you want to come and join our community.
1. Location: Kona, Hawaii. We live on the Big Island of Hawaii. It’s a beautiful place loaded with beaches, palm trees, hikes, water falls, volcanoes, and many other gems. The island also features a lot of rich history. A few minutes walk from our front door is the location of where the first missionaries arrived onto the island.
2. Community living. Our campus is a re-purposed hotel in a prime location on Ali’i Drive in downtown Kona, Hawaii. Port YWAM Kona sleeps 200, has five classrooms, several offices, a café and a few conference rooms. We are a very family friendly group. Living on our training base means we do life together. It’s like a small town with everyone pitching in to do what is needed. You’ll get to know your roommates, fellow students and base staff fairly well.
3. Coffee. Are you a coffee lover? Well you’re in luck. Kona coffee is everywhere here. There are at least 5 coffee shops within a few minutes walk of the base and each provides a different atmosphere all its own. We even have our own cafe right here at Ships.
4. Worship. Weekly you’ll meet with the Ships community to worship, pray and praise God. With our twin location (the University of the Nations) just up the road, you’ll have the opportunity to engage in much larger gatherings of YWAMers as well. There’s just something about connecting with fellow believers on a weekly basis and singing to our heavenly Father.
5. Speakers from around the globe. Did you know that the founders of YWAM live in Kona? With lecturers from all around the world, every week will be an adventure of its own. You’ll rub shoulders with YWAM Kona staff and leaders from around the globe who will encourage you and broaden your understanding of missions.
6. Adventure. When you’re not in a classroom learning about God and growing in your relationship with Him, there are adventures to be had and places to see. Not only is the ocean right outside our front door, but there are many scenic spots around the island as well. Make a plan, grab your friends, bring your hiking shoes, and set off on an adventure all your own.
7. Summertime all year around. While many places around the world get to experience all 4 seasons, here in Hawaii, we are blessed with summer weather all the days of the year. You don’t have to worry about bringing a heavy jacket or sweats to keep you warm – except for those times you want to go up Mauna Kea or when the classroom is air-conditioned. Bring your sunglasses, bathing suit and plenty of sunscreen!
By Jaime Gomez
Port YWAM Kona Communications Staff
Feel like YWAM Ships Kona is the right fit? Send us your info. We’d love to chat.